At first blush, this appears to be a “super-hero” flick in the genre of Spiderman, Superman, etc. But this super-hero, who can fly and deflect bullets and missiles, is a surly, Negro alcoholic. An altruistic PR man takes him under his wings and trains him to be more open to other people and to “share” in prison group-therapy sessions. But when the “super-hero” meets the PR man’s wife, it is a Siegmund-Sieglinde moment.
This super-hero did not drop in from Mars, nor was he bitten by a magic spider. It turns out he is an angel, or a god, whatever. These gods were made in pairs, but when paired in marital bliss, they lost their immortality and were systematically wiped out as a result. This particular god was severely beaten by some Miami bigots, and lost his memory. His Aryan-goddess mate took advantage of this amnesia to separate, thus restoring their immortality, so they might both be saved. The nigger-god eventually learns the truth, and self-sacrificially removes himself from his rightful blond goddess, so that they might both live and do deeds of righteousness. He is thus not only a god, but a Christ-like, self-sacrificing god at that. The first act of his new regimen is performing a miracle that will aid the PR-man in his campaign to spread a socialist-utopian vision under the marketing label “AllHeart.”
Looked at abstractly, the question must be raised, why did the Christ-god giving up his Aryan goddess have to be a Negro? Would not the story have made just as much sense if he had been a white god?
To ask it is to answer it. This is Hollywood. And Hollywood is nothing if not on a mission to reconstruct America in terms of its religion. Let me count the memes.
1. Drunken, sullen nigger comes as god to claim his rightful blonde. Stand aside, honky losers!
2. Thus, race-mixing of the most extreme kind is natural if not normative, and has the stamp of approval of the divine plan.
3. If it ever does not work out, this is because the Negro is magnanimous.
4. Young people are to idolize Negro heroes, and they do so.
5. Communist PR-campaigns to shape how people think are not silly fads, but serious and philosophical.
6. Multi-layered adultery is perfectly fine, especially if in service to higher values.
7. Language should be debased and made vulgar. Everyone — everyone! — calls the super-hero-god a**-hole repeatedly. Chuckle, chuckle, titter, titter.
It is PG-13, wink-wink, meaning kids can watch even though their parents “should” exercise oversight.
At least, it can be said to the film’s unearned credit, that the Lord’s name is not taken in vain. Perhaps to make the memes a little more accessible.